Big Rapids, Mich. - The Ferris State University men's tennis team had its eight-match Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) win streak halted as the Bulldogs dropped a 6-3 road decision to Wayne State on Wednesday (April 3) in Detroit.
The loss was the Bulldogs' first against Division II competition this season as FSU fell to 11-3 overall and 8-1 in conference play. Meanwhile, Wayne State improved to 7-5 overall and 4-1 with the victory in the match, which was played in WSU's Multipurpose Indoor facility.
Ferris State entered the match leading the GLIAC, but Wayne State jumped out to a 2-1 lead after the doubles round.
In singles play, the Bulldogs managed to win both of the first two flights, but WSU swept the last four singles positions to earn the win over FSU.
The loss also snapped a five-match FSU winning streak overall.
The Bulldogs are back in action on Tuesday, April 9, when they visit rival Northwood for another key league encounter starting at 12 p.m. (ET) in Midland, Mich.
Below are the complete match results:
1. Laurent Galarneau (FS) def. Aman Gill (WSU) 5-7, 6-3, 10-7
2. Sergiu Laza (FS) def. Mohamed Fazyi Kechai (WSU) 7-5, 4-0, ret.
3. Thomas Ducret (WSU) def. Tyler Marengo (FS) 6-0, 6-0
4. Melvin Joseph (WSU) def. Razvan Mag (FS) 6-2, 6-4
5. Mike Fitzgerald (WSU) def. Otto Keresztes (FS) 6-0, 3-0, ret.
6. Jason Chen (WSU) def. Aaron Dial (FS) 6-4, 6-0
1. Gill/Trey Keating (WSU) def. Galarneau/Mag (FS) 9-7
2. Laza/Marengo (FS) def. Joseph/Fitzgerald (WSU) 8-5
3. Ducret/Chen (WSU) def. Keresztes/Dial (FS) 8-3