2013 Ferris State Women's Volleyball Quick Facts
2013 Schedule & Times
2013 Current Roster
2012 Team Results
2012 Individual & Team Stats
Team News & Releases
Location: Big Rapids, Michigan 49307
Colors: Crimson and Gold
Facility (Capacity): Ewigleben Sports Arena (600)
Affiliation: NCAA Division II
Conference: Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC)
President: Dr. David L. Eisler (Michigan, 1972)
Athletics Director: Perk Weisenburger (Central Michigan, 1979)
Office/E-Mail: (231) email@example.com
Associate Athletics Director: Jon Coles (Valparaiso, 1999)
Office/E-Mail: (231) firstname.lastname@example.org
Coordinator of Records and NCAA: Jeff
Office/E-Mail: (231) 591-2799/JefferyStewart@ferris.edu
Faculty Athletics Representative: Dr. Terry Nerbonne
Athletics Department Office/FAX: (231) 591-2860/591-2869
Head Athletic Trainer: Dave Lucey,
Office/E-Mail: (231) email@example.com
Assistant Athletic Trainer: Tim Glover, ATC
Office/E-Mail: (231) firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Athletic Trainer (Women's Volleyball): Kara Bremer
Office/E-Mail: (517) 980-3803/KaraBremer@ferris.edu
Equipment Manager: Ben Mumah, E.M.,C.
Office/E-Mail: (231) email@example.com
Ticket Manager: Linda Bomar
Office/E-Mail: (231) firstname.lastname@example.org
Athletics Communications Director (Women's Volleyball): Rob Bentley
Office/E-Mail: (231) email@example.com
Athletics Communications Fax: (231) 591-3775
Mailing Address: 210 Sports Drive, Sports Complex 001, Big Rapids, MI. 49307-2741
Athletics Website: www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com
First Year of Volleyball: 1972
Overall All-Time Record: 859-473 (.645)
Conference All-Time Record: 387-192 (.668)
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 16 (1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012
All-Time NCAA Postseason Record: 9-18 (.333)
Last NCAA Tourney Opponent: Indianapolis @ NCAA Midwest Regional in Indianapolis, Ind.
Result: Lost 3-0
Number Years In GLIAC Tourney/Last: 15/2012
Last GLIAC Tourney Opponent: Wayne State
Result: Lost 3-2
Head Coach: Tia Brandel-Wilhelm
Alma Mater: Alma, 1990
Year Entering At FSU: 18th
Record at FSU (Years): 357-172 (.675)/17 yrs.
Career Record (Years): 475-192 (.712)/20 yrs.
Record vs. the GLIAC (all matches): 238-118 (.669)
Office Phone/E-Mail: (231) firstname.lastname@example.org
Best time/day to reach Brandel-Wilhelm: M-F 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (ET)
Jesse Ortiz (Sonoma State, 2004)
Year Entering At FSU: 3rd
Office/E-Mail: (231) email@example.com
2012 Overall Record: 24-8
Conference Record/Finish: 16-2/2nd
2012 Non-Conference Record: 8-6
2012 Record At Home: 10-3
2012 Record Away: 8-3
2012 Record on Neutral Courts: 6-2
(24-8, 16-2 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic
2012 Final National Ranking: Not Ranked
2012 Postseason Finish: NCAA Midwest Regional Semifinal
2012 Conference Finish: 2nd
Returning Starters/Letterwinners: 3 + libero/11
Top Returners: Courtney Rehm (Jr, OH, 6’2”, All-GLIAC Second Team, 2.34 kpg, 2.96 dpg, 0.62 bpg), Angi Kent (Sr, MH, 6’2”, 0.64 bpg, 1.85 kpg), Brandie Merren (Sr, L, 5’7”, Daktronics All-Midwest Region First-Team, GLIAC Libero of the Year, 4.50 dpg), Megan Vander Meer (So, OH, 5’8”, 1.74 kpg, 0.56 bpg)
Top Newcomers: Alexis Huntey (So, RS, 6’1”), Kaley Konjarevich (Fr, OH, 5’11”), Stephanie Sikorski (Fr, S/OH, 5’9”), Aspen Stuedemann (Fr, MH, 5’11”), Elle Humphries (Fr, OH/MH, 5’11”)
Top Players Lost: Anne Sutton (MH, AVCA All-America HM, First-Team AVCA All-Midwest Region, Academic All-American, All-GLIAC First Team), Samantha Fordyce (S, AVCA All-Midwest Region HM, All-GLIAC First Team), Aly Brecht (OH, All-GLIAC HM)
2013 SEASON PREVIEW NOTES:
* The 2013 campaign will represent Ferris State's 41st season of intercollegiate women's volleyball. The program inaugural season was in 1973.
* Ferris State recorded its 15th consecutive winning season in 2012 with a 24-8 overall mark. The Bulldogs also made their 15th straight Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Tournament appearance.
* Ferris State is ranked among others receiving votes in the
2013 American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division II
National Top 25 Preseason Poll.
* In 2011, the Bulldogs climbed to as high as 11th in the country, which represented the program's highest ranking in more than 20 years.
* Two years ago, FSU compiled a 27-4 overall record in 2011 and won the GLIAC North Division Championship while also reaching the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Semifinals. The Bulldogs finished as league co-champions after posting an 18-1 conference mark under head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm.
* Ferris State officially opens its 2013 season on Friday, Sept. 6, with a pair of non-conference matches at the Ferris State Invitational in Big Rapids. The Bulldogs host California (Pa.) and Missouri-St. Louis in their first two matches of the tournament. FSU then concludes tourney play on Saturday, Sept. 7, with contests against Washburn (Kan.) and Cedarville (Ohio).
* Ferris State wrapped up the 2012 campaign with a 24-8 overall record and reached the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Semifinals for the second consecutive year. FSU also posted a 16-2 mark in Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) North Division play and came within a single victory of claiming a second-straight conference championship.
* The Bulldogs have advanced to the NCAA Tournament three of the last four years to date.
Ferris State returns nearly 10 letterwinners for the 2013 season, including a pair of All-GLIAC selections in senior libero Brandie Merren (Hopkins) and junior outside hitter Courtney Rehm (Portage/Central). A year ago, Merren was tabbed as the GLIAC's Libero of the Year and also a Daktronics All-Midwest Region First Team honoree.
* The Bulldogs are guided by head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm, who will embark on her 18th year at the Bulldog helm and 21st season overall as a collegiate head coach.